So excited to go to the VaASL Fall Conference: Librarians as Leaders!
My take-aways have been numerous!
1. Twitter is not scary! I haven’t tweeted much before this weekend (a total of two baby tweets), but I made it a point to try and tweet once for each session I was at just to PROVE to myself that it is not frightening!
2. I have more student self-assessment tools to use. I want to explore using Google Forms and single-point rubrics.
3. I have a list of graphic novels to add to my collection development list that could wipe out my budget. It’s a good thing to have so many options! I can’t wait to buy some new ones my students will love.
4. As we add more e-books to our collections our students need one platform to access. They can’t be expected to read our minds and know which books we purchased from which vendor.
5. Learning centers in the library continues to be something I’m actively exploring. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and idea collecting. I’m ready to go for it, but I’ve been using my time lately to get ready for my conference presentation. With that past, look out kids, because your librarian is crazy!
6. Measuring learning of students should be valuable, not busywork.
7. I want to try and write the plan behind my lesson plans…. I need to be more obvious about why I’m choosing the strategies that are in my lesson plans.
8. I’d like to teach a lesson about reading skills and their application to graphic novels or websites. Haven’t done much reading on the topic, but it sounds like transliteracy to me.
9. I want to add an interactive piece to my See, Think, Wonder bulletin board and test out wallwisher at the same time.
10. I love the idea of source citation in primary grades being phrased as a simple “thank you!”
11. Presenting a conference session is better with a partner! Kudos to Beth who was my rock. I am very confident in my content, but I really want to DO and help people get something done. Talking about what I’ve done is more challenging for me.
There are more bits and pieces I was inspired by or inspired to do, but I need to go back through my notes and get them added to my conference reflection document. Can’t wait to get to it!